[meteorite-list] Shawnee tradition, hermeneutic condition

From: Thaddeus Besedin <endophasy_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2007 01:37:58 -0700 (PDT)

The Shawnee and others are the ONLY sources of
Pleistocene cultural information, possibly preserved
in accounts of the cosmogony of late-coming
Paleoindian populations (as also can be expected of
the mythopoesis of indigenous Northern Asian
populations, e.g. early Jomon Proto-Ainu
people(~16,000 BP - ~2,450 BP), certainly surviving
relatively intact through the cold snap of the Younger
Dryas, although not necessarily witnessing an impact -
unless by hemispheric diffuse supernova ejecta), that
a study, constrained entirely to an output of
speculative-associative quasi-syntheses with all
caveats understood, can draw from. Unverifiability is
not itself completely at odds with scientific
practice, and correspondence of paleoclimatological
reconstructions, geological evidence, and
archaeological evidence can parallel mythos and, to a
minimal degree, offer a possible translation of
metaphorical-allegorical narrative. Thus, scholars
with the aspirations of an E.P. Grondine are limited
to a view of their subject from distances beyond mere
time (semantic indeterminability/incommensurability
apply - a transmission from crystallized indigenous
accounts, to eurocentric 19th c. ethnographers to
E.P.G.). Archaeolgy is much easier, but certainly
mute.

Just don't call Hibben a rigorous and ethical
scientist.

We must, to arrive at the closest degee of recorded
experience, decolonialize our view of vanquished
non-european cultural traditions, but what we have
left (Eurocentric ethnographies)is the best that we
have left. What do the current Shawnee think of the
works of white ethnographers?
One last thing - I found this article at the PNAS
site, although another list member may have beat me to
it:
"Evidence for an extraterrestrial impact 12,900 years
ago that contributed to the megafaunal extinctions
and the Younger Dryas cooling"
http://www.pnas.org/cgi/reprint/0706977104v1.pdf
[full-color images, graphs, etc. in PDF format]