[meteorite-list] Thin Sections of Carancas Meteorite Chondritic or not

From: Mr EMan <mstreman53_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Oct 2007 20:56:33 -0700 (PDT)

As to what Rob has raised--I did see several
chondrules in the photos. This looks much like the
friable L;s we have seen and contains slickensides
which would tend to make it a monomyct breccia.
However these large metal blebs are intriguing and
might make this an anomalous stone. I didn't see any
thing in the photos which appeared to be a true shock
vein, only the slicken sides. However for there to be
large blebs/clasts of iron and or olivine in the stone
it must have had a very shocked history with possibly
injected components of an iron or pallasite. If so,
this might explain the initial declaration that this
was a "chondritic pallasite".

Elton

--- Rob Matson <mojave_meteorites at cox.net> wrote:
> "Based only on the images of the exteriors, I would
> consider the specimens very unlikely to be
chondritic. But there~are~ some chondrite-like
features in the thin sections (though I wouldn't call
them unambiguously chondrules). The rims are
indistinct,
there are no shock veins visible, and the interference
colors don't seem quite right. I'll forward the images
to a few experts to get their opinions, but if this