[meteorite-list] Peru INGEMMET contact information forpetitionofaerial photos and Carancas crater preservation

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Oct 2007 14:57:29 -0500

Hi, Dirk, List,

It appears from some of the news stories that
the Geophysics Institute of Peru (IGP), whose
name is sometimes given as the Instituto Astrofisica
of Peru, and its president Ronald Woodman, is
"competing" with INGEMMET to be the agency
to control the investigation and excavate the crater.

http://www.andina.com.pe/NoticiaDetalle.aspx?id=144455
"The legislator proposed to the chief, in coordination
with the IGP, to extract the meteorite, and move it to
a safe place to facilitate its study, prevent its sale, and
to exploit the zone both for science and tourism to
the local population."

Apparently we can add to the list of factors working
against any timely recovery of material from the crater
bureaucratic in-fighting, never a rapid process.

Sterling K. Webb