[meteorite-list] "Boiling" (?) water in Carancas crater

From: AL Mitterling <almitt_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2007 18:56:23 -0400

Hi Piper,

I've been thinking about the "boiling water" and might have another
explanation or two. First if this hit the ground faster than terminal
velocity, I think that air could have been compressed under the specimen
and is slowly bubbling out under as the water reacts to erode around the
mass, releasing the trapped compressed air. Also if this is a fairly
friable meteorite, it might be absorbing water and air is being
displaced from the mass rising to the surface. I suppose that both could
be true. Certainly a chemical reaction as you suggest is a good
possibility. All my best!

--AL Mitterling