[meteorite-list] Thin Sections, Thanks and Meteorite

From: Walter Branch <waltbranch_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2007 13:23:51 -0400

Hello Everyone,

I wanted to thank everyone who responded to my questions earlier this week
about thin sections. I know it takes time from your busy schedules to
respond, sometimes in depth, to questions and I appreciate your sharing your
knowledge.

I now have a greater awareness and appreciation for those who are capable of
producing thin sections. I had no idea that thickness tolerance was
incredibly tight and could affect the interpretation of what one sees in a
thin section.

The August, 2007 issue of Meteorite (I kind of miss the "!")arrived this
week and the centerpiece article by Richard Norton and Lawrence Chitwood was
more easily understood (by me) thanks to what I learned this week about thin
sections.

I also read "Lets Go, Correo" by Robert Woolard. If you love reading
meteorite hunting stories (without all the name calling, etc) you will LOVE
this one. Figures (photos) 4 and 5 and the front cover look great! Thanks
Robert.

Bill Mason has an article about preserving meteorites. He knows a great
deal about rust. I believe his nickname is Dr. Rusty. He also sells a
Meteorite Preservation Kit chock full of everything you need to get started.
Chemicals and such. I got one from him last year and was doing some tests
on some iron slices and individuals when I had my accident and wound up in
the hospital for several months. Of course I had not completed my tests but
the initial results were very encouraging. I even got a big slice of Campo
del Cielo to remain rust-free and I live near the Atlantic Ocean. I would
highly recommend anyone interested contact Bill regarding his kits.

Gotta do some yard work now, while the sun is shining.

Take Care

-Walter Branch