[meteorite-list] Slickensides vs. Shock Veins correction Ringwoodite

From: Mr EMan <mstreman53_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2007 02:35:55 -0700 (PDT)

I am so sorry Mia Culpa!

 I was covering writing several articles tonight and
had a computer glitch along with a brain freeze.
I lost something in the process. What I should have
said was:

"Ringwoodite" a mineral and is the spinel polymorph of
olivine.

"Maskelynite" is not a mineral but a glass derived
from feldspars that have been shock melted.

"Smectite" also not a mineral, is a broad term
covering the mostly clay substance (e.g feldspar
weathering products)in terrestrial slickensides.

I suspect that the material in slickensides from
meteorites will also fall under the classification
smectite.

Thanks for paying attention!

http://www.lpi.usra.edu/meetings/metsoc99/pdf/5047.pdf