[meteorite-list] New Peru article

From: mexicodoug <mexicodoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2007 01:23:34 -0500

Hi List amigos,

Just curious ... Sterling what model you have accounts for potato sized
meteorites (and powder) scattered in and around meters from the impact, yet
strictly powder inside, especially for a meteorite that sheds like this one
particularly along its natural 'fault' lines. Let me add that the collision
physics probably is greatly different as the ground is a great deal more
"compressible" than a typical collision where the rate of the speed of sound
traveling from end and back determines the stresses experienced. This is
basically the difference between dividing by zero time to dividing by an
extended time caused by the detrital inclusions in the energy absorbing
sink. The six meter depth of the crater in all likelyhood is an indication
of significant damping more than anything else. As is the great diameter a
testimony of the characteristic of the ability of the ground to absorb
shock. The difference between falling from an altitude to a marble floor or
a to bank of snow where you leave a big hole.

Even a three tone stone meteorite wouldn't be expected to maintain any
cosmic velocity, and if it did by some stretch, it should have long sheered
apart as it hit dense atmosphere.

Another random comment I have is that despite the observed peeing in the
crater, the marly clay soil is quite basic (pH = 7.8 vs. acidic), so we may
be lucky in that the meteorite remains preserved more than we think.

Finally, without any disrespect meant, I wanted to nominate the informal
name of this meteorite to be "the Pisco Sour meteorite" (even though it is
now quite alkaline).

Best health,
Doug

PS Randall, with all respect due and no malice intended, that joke you told
about the Arequipan Republic makes you as the joke teller a homosexual girl,
a result I don't think you intended (and please don't shoot the messenger).
Run by your wife the version you posted "exactly" and see if she busts out
laughing like we did. But hey a little joshing is good for the soul...