[meteorite-list] New Peru article

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2007 00:28:14 -0500

Hi,

    The only good news here is that the notorious
"meteoritotrafficantes americanos" have hopefully
slipped across the bandit border into Boliva.

> police had searched for the meteorite hunters
> at their hotel but were unable to catch them
> because they had left.

    I was thinking it was getting near the time to
get out of Dodge; wasn't everybody? Mike, get
out of there.

    It will be interesting to watch the local scientific
authorities remove the massive multi-ton meteorite
from the muddy pit, from under five meters of water,
without draining it, as they said they would, before
the crater vanishes in a few months (as they also
said it would). Just kidding.

    Only problem is, after kicking numbers and
reports around for a day or two, I don't think that
there's anything under that mud but more mud.
According to the INGEMMET report, the windows
of a dwelling over 1000 meters away from the crater
were broken and blown out by the impact. I believe
that is diagnostic of a hypersonic impact (greater
than 340 m/s).

    Using the figure for average terrestrial rock, it
only takes about 100 joules per gram to powder it
to dust. At the speed of sound, each gram of the
meteoroid has 60 joules of kinetic energy; at Mach
1.3 (450 m/s), it has 100 joules per gram. At 1000 m/s
(or about Mach 3), it has over 500 joules per gram.

    Mike Farmer said, "The meteorite is very fragile,
very porous..." I doubt very much that it would take
100 joules (granite takes 100 joules) to be dusted.
Mike also mentioned locally taken photos that showed
"incredible amounts of meteorite powder."

    And lastly, it seems from those photos Mike saw
(and the photgrapher's story) that the fireball's ablative
smoke trail was visible pretty much all the way to the
crater location and the mushroom cloud. That would
mean that the object was in ablative flight all the way
to the ground. (It's worthwhile to point out that ablation
requires more than "merely" hypersonic speeds.)

    Then there's Dr. Daniels a.k.a. Gregory's report of
the tiny dust-like particles he meteoritotrafficanted from
a little old lady -- that's evidence that the crushing strength
of the material was exceeded, and because it was outside
the crater, must have come from the most protected
part of the impactor: its backside.

    That meteorite is dust. No matter what it massed,
there's nothing in that mudpit.

    And it's OK with me if I'm wrong and somebody
winches a ton or two of meteorite out of the mud; it
would be a great day. But... don't hold your breath.

Sterling K. Webb