[meteorite-list] Question about shock veins...?

From: ensoramanda <ensoramanda_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2007 21:31:39 +0100

Hi,

In the photos of the Carancas meteorite I posted recently it is obvious
that it is full of shock veins. Mike Farmer also mentioned this
characteristic in his pieces and that it had fragmented along some of
these veins. My photographs show what may be a surface like this...or it
could be crust.

My question is...Could it be possible that the shock veins were produced
as a direct result of the hypervelocity impact or is that not
possible....are they much more likely to be formed in space during
asteroid impacts.

Stirling has posted lots of info regarding the energy and forces
possibly involved...could this have happened and the fragments collected
show this striated surface along shock veins as a result?

...check out the 3rd and last two photos to see this surface....reminds
me of some of the marks on Sikhote alin shrapnel...but obviously formed
by some other mechanism in this.

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o43/LaburnumStudio/DSCN6903.jpg
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o43/LaburnumStudio/DSCN6902.jpg
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o43/LaburnumStudio/DSCN6901.jpg