[meteorite-list] Carancas meteorite - research paper #1 - Effects of meteorite dust on mucus membranes

From: Dr. Richard Daniels <dr.richard.daniels_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2007 12:54:15 -0500

Greetings,

1) I believe nobody in Carancas knew what impacted. Their first
thought was that an airplane had crashed as did the people in Aplao,
Chiclayo and Cusco. A normal and natural reaction. This is all they
know, because sometimes airplane fly over.

I am speculating. If it had been a nuclear-powered satellite, then the
police from Desaguadero would be dead by now. Fair assumption?

2) Wrong assumption. The police collected them because people were
getting sick. This is a very close-nit community, and they were trying
to protect the people. In my opinion, they were heroic.

3) Yes, I agree. Mike is welcome back into Peru to volunteer his
services to search for strewnfields as is any other person with
legitimate interest. I've heard reports of other impacts in a 25 km
radius and there may be quite a bit of other material.

4) Yes, thank you. :)

I would like to add, that when my wife was pouring grains of meteorite
dust from a bottle I bought from Justina. She said her nose felt like
the stinging of a thousand little bees. (Spanish interpretation).

Would anyone care to do analysis on the effects of this meteoric dust
(vaporized and aerosolized) on mucusoal membranes. If so, what would
be the minimum you would require for analysis? Include credentials
please. I be happy to send some, just pay for shipping.

Randall