[meteorite-list] Carnacas smoke-trail photos

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2007 20:49:18 -0600

Hi Michael-

As a physicist (and not on the scene), my instinct is simply to perform
some simple calculations to get some sense of what the various
possibilities are.

Assuming wet soil, which seems like what the crater was formed in, it
requires about 5 GJ (~1 ton TNT) to produce a crater that size. That
might reasonably be created by a 2 meter diameter, 10 ton stone
impacting at 1.5 km/s. Under those conditions, the impactor would be
largely converted to dust, but there would be little vaporization. A lot
of water could be vaporized, which would explain the cloud that was
seen, but there wouldn't be enough residual heat to boil water that
refilled the crater, or even make it hot.

Of course, it could have been a smaller object falling faster, or even a
rather large object (~5 meter diameter) falling at a 200 m/s terminal
velocity. The crater type would range from an explosive impact crater to
a simple excavated hole.

Distinguishing between these extremes will require getting soil samples
from around the crater extending at least a few hundred meters, as well
as collecting detailed measurements of the crater to determine its
precise shape. Unfortunately, the conditions don't seem ideal for
conducting this kind of research. Personally, I wouldn't be optimistic
about finding any large body in the crater, unless the actual impact was
subsonic.

One question involving the fireball: did the impact occur simultaneously
with the end of the fireball (which would imply a hypersonic impact of a
small body), or did the impact occur a minute or more after the
fireworks (which would suggest a low speed impact by a larger body)?
Anyway, keep up the good work, and collect whatever data you can. I hope
that the fireball was caught on a DoD satellite, and that the light
curve will be released. That would greatly assist in analyzing the
nature of the parent body.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory