[meteorite-list] AD Carancas - Ebay auction - Met list auction

From: Ken Newton <magellon_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2007 13:25:29 -0400

(Posted for Gregory Randall)

Mike or Ken, Please. one last post.

List members,

Feeling much better after 3 hours sleep. Talking with my wife this
morning she feels that we should go to Desag. She's looking for tickets
as I'm composing. She talked with a policeman at Desag and he invited us
down. I think what I'm going to propose is that we help sell their
little booty for whatever the market will pay with the understanding
that part of what they make will go to the church. If I can elicit
written promises that they will help protect the crater during
excavation that will be my fee. I'll make daily progress reports along
with pics. My wife was a little hesitant, but reassured her that
basically these are good men, and just maybe a little crazy from the
smell of money. Hopefully, with the help of the priest we can convince
them to be true to themselves and their people.

My impetus now is to get back to the crater and work with the city to
extract the main mass, if any. Personally, I have a hard time believing
that total meteorite material is less than 10,000 grams. That a 10,000
gram meteorite made such a huge crater. Maybe it all vaporized and then
again, maybe not. There could be tons of meteorite material in that
crater 'rotting' away.

I have to get these meteorites sold and I already have a few offers to
buy my entire lot. Lima is very humid and I know what happened to my
other meteorites. They started to oxidize and change color. I want to
get these into collections as early as possible. I realized that I can
still continue working from the field. I have a laptop, cell phone, and
a newly aquired (yesterday) digital camera. I'll take my Nikon too.
Anyway, I need to get back. Time is not on our side...

I can take really good quality digital pics and have them posted daily
along with fresh travel reports. You can be a part of this expedition
and I would encourage it. I'm going to Desag to help and to record
everythin. I'm going to go put my bare feet in the crater's water to
show that the meteorite causes no ill effects. If you read my post about
the dust from the meteorite, you already know that the dust is a very
powerful irritant, albiet with no permanent effects.

There has been no response to my met-list only offer, so I'm going ahead
and start to sell them on Ebay.

Gotta Run,

Randall