[meteorite-list] another Randall post

From: Michael L Blood <mlblood_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2007 10:02:10 -0700

Gentlemen, (Please post to the list for me)

I have in total 4,740 gms. of the Carancas meteorite with an option for
another 500 gm. of material. Of this, a total of 259.6 gms. will be sold.
Fusion crusted material comprise a total of 128.8 gm. I consider this to be
legally mine, since I bought it from the land-owner and his family. The
stones purchased from the family were also blessed by a Catholic priest in
the town of Desagaudero. The rest I bought from thieves. Theft is wrong in
the eyes of the government and God.

The bulk of what I have, I consider it to be stolen and I will not sell any
until I talk to the land owner and work out an agreement. Just before I left
Desaguadero, I paid $2,000 for the 4 kilo piece from local authorities that
was collected (stolen) shortly after the meteorite fell. Any Carancas
meteorite over 50gms. that hits the market was obtained illegally. I want to
petition the court in Desaguadero to declare anything outside of what was
purchased directly from the family to be illegal. Australia and Brazil have
National Treasure laws, Peru has laws regarding archeological artifacts, and
the United States has private property laws. I will ask that the material
currently in scientific institutions be exempted and will ask the land owner
and the church in Desaguadero to allow them to keep what they have in the
interest of science. Imagine that a meteorite fell onto your property and
your local police, newspaper reporters and neighbors came in an took pieces
of this meteorite until there was nothing left for you. What would your
reaction be?

What is Ebay's policy regarding the sales of stolen material? Some people
will try to sell this stolen material on Ebay. My question to you,
gentlemen, is what moral responsibilites do meteorite dealers have and what
percentage of meteorites in the market do you believe to be stolen?

Randall