[meteorite-list] Brownlees in Rainwater

From: Francis Graham <francisgraham_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2007 05:29:05 -0800 (PST)

Jerry:
  Yes! This proposed study is inspiring! And it could
be done! And think of it! If these really are
micrometeorites, and we can convincingly show it, you
could easily have the largest meteorite collection in
the world without leaving your country home! Of
course, I admit Farmer, Black, Haag, Arnold, Matteo,
and others on this list would exceed your collection
in *mass*....but why quibble.
   Seriously, such a study of whether these are
micrometeorites carefully done could be published.
While "The Astrophysical Journal" might not want it,
any number of science edcuation journals would feature
it! This is precisely the kind of stuff that teachers
want to know: does their demonstration actually
demonstrate the point? To be convincing, said reknown
teacher-educator Dr David Keller of Kent State, you
must have three independent aspects, triangulation,
and this applies to science education research also.
The three proposed are : (1) aerodynamic ablative
shape (2) ferromagnetic response (3) nickel content
similar to similarly sized particles of kamacite, but
unlike industrial debris. If particles meet all three
tests, in the absence of contraindications, then we
can *reasonably* consider them iron micrometeorites.
Recall Cloudtop Science Center on this list using
filters reported a collection of particles which
failed to match BOTH (1) and (2). So there is some
doubt.
  It is true industrial iron microparticles may be
produced in large numbers in processes. But any
industrial debris would have to have been made airborn
in very recent time. The air oxidizes them rapidly.
Iron does not hang around in humid air very long, as
collectors of large iron meteorites are quite aware!
Much less time so the microparticles exist, as Yoda
would say. Would they make it over intercontinental
distances in large numbers? This is uncertain. A
mass/area ratio back-of-the-envelope estimate is that
the would not last more than two days as native iron
in the wet troposphere.
  I posted this discussion on list, but, in the
future, we can correspond off-list, to avoid boring
listees with no interest in micrometeorites. The
reason I went on list is to invite anyone to comment,
especially, spot flaws, before such a study is
commenced.
  Jerry, you shown yet another way to enjoy the rain
again.

Francis Graham