[meteorite-list] Brownlees in Rainwater

From: mexicodoug <mexicodoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 10:54:15 -0600

Dear Francis,

I was thinking exactly the same angle already posted by Larry, so let me
just comment on your question:

"And at what size level does a meteorite cease to be of interest?"

by offering the opinion:
At the level it ceases to contain any information attributable to
meteoroids, meteorites or their parent bodies. Since this will change with
time and technology, the question may be time and resource dependent.
However, your inquiry about whether any of these particles have been
analyzed (or imo, capable of being analyzed at present), stands.

It would seem to me, that a very good project for schools would be to
organize a collection protocol for educators in the style of the superb
International Monarch Butterfly tagging program (or also like SETI on home
computers), to collect large amounts of this material, set up a factorial
experimental design to test certain hypothesis and bulk sample differences,
by appropriately submitting these for testing.

I would imagine that this is an experiment that neither the ESA nor NASA
have the resources nor mandate to do, yet could lead to profound insight on
the nature of cometary particles on Earth and make a very good contribution
to science by enthusiastic young scientsits to be. Or I darkly suspect,
more likely an application of the scientific method to disprove a popularly
held theory theory regarding most of the materials recovered in this way -
either way, a great exercise for teaching meteorites and science in general
with a problem, methodology, and a participative attitude.

Surely there is some work on this out there, but sample size and scope
restrictions make this an ideal educator's project looking only for someone
like you to organize. Just need a partner in the scientific community
willing to lead in the intrumental analyses and sample preparation.

Best Wishes and Good Health,
Doug