[meteorite-list] Holmes coma bigger than sun

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 21:17:26 -0600

Hi, All,

> On Monday, Nov. 19, the comet will create a unique
> sky watching event according to the Web site
> Spaceweather.com: "The comet will glide by the star
> Mirfak [also called Alpha Persei] and appear to
> swallow it --- a sight not to be missed.

    By "swallow," it means that the star will shine right
through the coma. How visible it will be, we can't tell.
The decree to which the star "disappears" should yield
data about the particle density of the coma. I think the
star will be quite visible, as many fainter stars have shone
through the coma in photographs.

    On January 22, 2008, Comet Holmes will pass much
nearer to Algol (beta Persei) than it will have approached
Mirfaq. If Holmes still has a bright coma then, we will
get an even more interesting view of a bright star and comet
together.

Sterling K. Webb