[meteorite-list] A question about crust.

From: Mr EMan <mstreman53_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2007 17:03:44 -0800 (PST)

Ditto, Tom! The claim of "any crust" at all is misused! The "crust"
proper has long since ablated away by wind action and the smooth
surface is being called "xx.x% fusion crust". What remains are the
questions: is this done through ignorance or is it willful exaggeration
to garner sales? If ignorance, then why do so many confuse what
fusion crust is? Then you already know my position on the need to
update the definition of what constitutes fusion crust. Have you
noticed the number of Canyon Diablos that are said to be "completely
fusion crusted? AND The number of crumbling chalky W4+ NWAs that are
sold as fusion crusted? Arrrrghhhhh!

Elton

Tom Wrote:

Hi John and list, There has been a trend to call everything crusted
> on eBay. Search meteorite and crusted in eBay and you will have
some
> fun looking at stones that are hardly dark color fragments let
alone crusted at all(even a spot). All the descriptive terms of
meteorites are being diluted to the point of becoming meaningless on
the one of the largest sales platforms of meteorites.

 Tom Phillips