[meteorite-list] Rosetta gravity assist flyby

From: mexicodoug <mexicodoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2007 16:44:34 -0600

"This incident, along with previous NEOCP postings of the WMAP spacecraft,
highlights the deplorable state of availability of positional information on
distant artificial objects (whether in earth orbit or in solar orbit). The
Distant Artificial Satellites Observations (DASO) page on the MPC website
(http://www.cfa.harvard.edu/iau/SpaceJunk/SpaceJunk.html)"

...A.U. Tomatic

Hi Listees,

I just extracted this from the web page Chris kindly provided with the
"awakening" :-) Good material for a sci-horror thriller....

Looks like 1 AU Tomatic is the fall guy signing off. I don't think the ESA
will bother to register Rosetta on their Space Junk webpage.... If there
wasn't a sense of humor before, there certainly is one now. Statistically,
one needs to strongly question whether someone knew what what happening and
just wanted to see if they could pull it off. Seeing a spacecraft traveling
12 km/s still six and a half days away on a near collision course with Earth
and not raising a scandal of what if's knowing it's size conveniently ...
even if you knew exactly where to look this is all pretty incredible. It
almost deserves a designation for that alone ... found it right where it was
supposed to be at around the 20th magnitude or so? Can anyone locate the
honorable Dr. AU Tomatic ? I 'm not getting my hopes up about how well "we"
can detect these objects....it still smells like a prank to me.

Keep Looking Up,
Doug