[meteorite-list] Thin Section Box by PolandMET

From: PolandMET <marcin_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2007 17:59:37 +0100

Hi
I like build different things, especialy when I think out new project.
This time I want present easy to use, field use recomended box for see thin
section in cross polarized light.
You need only loupe, light and thin section :)

step 1
First of all, we need to buy one thin section box from Jensen Meteorites
http://www.jensenmeteorites.com/supplies.htm
http://www.meteoryt.net/ebay/ts1.jpg
They are perfect for storage thin section except one thing. Designer forgot
about any corner or something else for our fingers that let us to open this
box. New boxes are impossible to open without help of knife or other tool.

Step2
So first thing we need to do is take top of this box and polish, using pile
tool, two shorter edges of box on angle 45*. When we do this and close box
we will have space for our finger nail that let us open box. It also
necessary to do this on all boxes we use to store our thin sections. I have
made this on my 100 boxes and its much easer to open them, and it cost less
stress when inside is expensive thin section and box dont want let us to
open it.
http://www.meteoryt.net/ebay/ts2.jpg

Step3
Now is time to cut square hole in both halfs of TS box. Hole must have size
similar to the size of meteorite in standard thin section. Dont make too big
hole becouse box can be broken while preparing it or later.
http://www.meteoryt.net/ebay/ts3.jpg.

Step4
Now we must polish edges of our new hole. Make sure hole size is similar in
both half's of TS Box.
http://www.meteoryt.net/ebay/ts4.jpg

Step5
Now I make small holes on surface of box on all sides to make it more stable
when we hold it. Box is very flat and extreme smooth and it like to fly out
of your hands, especially when inside is thin section worth few hundreds of
$$$. Remember Murphy Law's !
http://www.meteoryt.net/ebay/ts5a.jpg
http://www.meteoryt.net/ebay/ts5b.jpg

Step6
Now we buy polarize filter from www.3dlens.com (I purchased A4 size). We cut
two square samples that will fit inside of each half of TS Box. REMEMBER to
cut them in 90* angle to each other. When You put them together You must see
nothing through them. If they will become black, then they are in cross
position.
Prepare glue for glass/plexiglass/plastic and small sponge 2-3mm thin. Put
some glue inside of each half of TS Box and put there filters. REMEMBER to
remove folio layer from both sides of polarize filter before You will glue
them with TS Box. When You put filters inside box, close it WITH sponge
inside. It will make good connection beeween box and polarize filter while
glue become dry.
http://www.meteoryt.net/ebay/ts6.jpg

Step7
If You not glued two halfs of TS Box together , then You will be able to
open it after several minutes. My box looks like this. Pretty funny but
extremelly usefull.
http://www.meteoryt.net/ebay/ts7.jpg

Step8 finito
Now crash test :)
Pretty easy to use everywhere. In Tucson show or in desert of Oman. Its
undetectable by metal detectors, so You can take it to the plane without
risk. Police dogs from drugs section will also not find my TSBox :)
It take a hour to do my TSBox.
http://www.meteoryt.net/ebay/ts8.jpg

Have Fun !

http://www.Meteoryty.pl marcin(at)meteoryty.pl