[meteorite-list] Did a Collision Cause Comet 17P/Holmes'MysteriousOutburst?

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2007 23:14:50 -0600

Hi, Jerry,

    Credit where credit is due! Larry Lebofsky used the
expression "burp" on the List when arguing for a gas
explosion from perihelion warming when I was arguing
for a collision (before visualizing that orbit completely),
so I began to think of these two causes as the "Bump"
and "Burp" Theories.

    Of course, you can have the "Unified Bump and Burp"
Theory, in which a collision exposes a big area of volatiles
out where things are so cold it doesn't matter, but then later,
when the comet comes its closest to the Sun, the volatiles
cook up and start to boil away in a big jet that spreads gas
and dust in every direction as the comet spins.

    That makes three Theories. A fourth Theory is that there
are internal processes possible in comets that are exothermic,
that is, that it is possible that icy bodies can have a kind of
cryovulcanism that causes outgassing and the development
of a coma. The more we observe the smallish icy bodies of
the outer solar system, like at Saturn, the more unexplained
internal processes we see in action.

    A fifth Theory involves the unpredictable behavior of the
debris streams that travel with a comet, rubble that spreads
along the entire orbital path in clumps that migrate along the
orbit by perturbation and may collide with the body that
spawned them and expose new volatiles (as in the third
Theory). These debris stream are common; all our meteor
showers are from the debris streams of appropriately placed
comets.

    Comet Holmes can easily spare these few millions of
kilos of material that it's spewing into the coma. Its volume
is roughly 20,575,000,000 cubic meters. If it's ice with a
density of 1.0, that's 20,575,000,000 tons. Comet Holmes
can spare a few million tons, much less kilos. Comets are
just litterbugs.

    And please, Jerry, don't even joke about an impact with
a "little" comet like Comet holmes which fortunately does
not come into the inner solar system even as far as Mars.
If Holmes had an "Earth-grazing" orbit with perihelion at
or inside the orbit of the Earth with a potential of collision,
it would be a Bad Thing.

    A little calculating yields a 3,000,000 MegaTon impact
which leaves a 25-mile crater 3000 feet deep. The 17-mile
diameter fireball is 19 times brighter than the Sun. The impact
is not survivable closer than about a 120-mile radius and
the radius of more or less total destruction of works and
infrastructure is 300 to 350 miles. It takes out a smallish
continent-sized chunk of the environment, about half the
size of Europe... or six times the size of Texas. It's the
sort of thing that happens every 10 million years or so.

    The comet is pretty right were it is. Let's leave it there.

Sterling