[meteorite-list] Carancas development plan

From: Michael Farmer <meteoriteguy_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2007 16:12:32 -0800 (PST)

Why would bob know? He was there all of four hours.
I bought some of the meteorite at the Munich show,
most of the pieces were so fragile they were turning
to dust in front of us. The nice 800 gram fragment is
now in about 20 pieces, which is why I did not buy it.

Forget about more in the crater, this stuff is so
fragile that two months in the water have destroyed
it. I told them two weeks after that time was running
out. It has now surely run out, there is only mud left
there now. They will not dig it up. That has been
decided by the Peruvian government. They smell tourist
dollars. I highly doubt they will ever recoup their
money from tourists. Who wants to pay to go see a hole
that looks like a pig wallow, complete with the sewage
one would expect.

Thanks to Haag, Hans, Robert, Moritz and I, at least
some kilos of the Carancas meteorite survived the
hostile environment of Peru. I hope no other meteorite
falls there for some time.
Michael Farmer