[meteorite-list] Bassikounou Vs Mali + smell

From: Moser Francesco <cojack_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2007 23:17:14 +0100

Hi all, on the week-end I was in Munich for the show, as usually a really
nice show with a lot of beauties (minerals, crystals and fossils) and a lot
of nice meteorites.

Here's the first question:
In Ensisheim I have bought a Bassikounou, It's 100% Bassikounou, I'm sure
because I have no doubt about the dealer.
In Munich I have bought Bassikounou and Mali, the meteorites are in
different boxes, but maybe someone have changed the place at the meteorites
and put the Bassi in the Mali box etc... etc...
BTW now I have 3 different meteorites and no one is similar to the
others.... :))

The Bassi I bought in Ensisheim has a black or brown-black smooth fusion
crust without metal spot on the surface, the Bassi I bought in Munich has a
rough black fusion crust with a lot of metal spots
The Mali has more metal spots on the crust.

I know it's really difficult to say something by my descriptions, so I have
put some pictures on-line:

Bassikounou bought in Ensisheim:
http://web.tiscali.it/francesco.moser/Ensisheim Bassi.jpg
http://web.tiscali.it/francesco.moser/Ensisheim Bassi1.jpg

Bassikounou bought in Munich:
http://web.tiscali.it/francesco.moser/Munich Bassi.jpg
http://web.tiscali.it/francesco.moser/Munich Bassi1.jpg

Mali bought in Munich
http://web.tiscali.it/francesco.moser/Munich Mali.jpg
http://web.tiscali.it/francesco.moser/Munich Mali1.jpg

The second question:
The meteorite I bought in Munich have a clearly smell of burned, could you
smell yours Bassi and Mali and tell me if you feel something???
As you can see from the pictures the Bassi bought in Ensisheim is fully
crusted and I don't feel any odor, it's normal?
On the other 2meteorite the odor it's very very difficult to feel something
from the crust, the odor is clear only on the broken surfaces!

Thank you!!!
Ciao

<><><><>
Francesco Moser