[meteorite-list] Mars and Beyond

From: Gary K. Foote <gary_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2007 07:29:20 -0400

Hi Doug and all,

> Looks like the source of that Mars rock you kindly investigated a
> while back
> :-) Just kidding!!!

Interestingly enough the man who owns the 'mars meteorite' sent a specimen whose origins
may be suspect. In fact, when we went to see his rock I gave him a small NWA so he could
have a meteorite of his very own. Maybe he sent that for analysis. The 'Mars Meteorite' was
written up in the Lancaster NH newspaper a few months ago as a proven-in-the-lab
meteorite, but then there was some disagreement as the University he sent it to had it sent
for independent analysis and that caused the University to insist on a retraction from the
paper which had cited them as the analysis team. I have the article and the retraction around
here somewhere and will post a copy of both if anyone is interested. So, needless to say,
the guy is still convinced [duh!] and the issue is even more muddy that before.

> "El Dorado" may be somewhat dynamic and also a haze of silt near
> it sometimes, like "Pigpen" in Charlie Brown.

Great simile. I'll look closer to see if there is a blanket somewhere in the picture ;^>

> 3. To make a composite image, they have to equalize the brightness
> somewhat. Like trying to show detail a rich black Eucrite fusion
> crust in a
> photo together with an off white matrix. This calls for selective
> "alteration" of the image.

I have had others suggest it is an artifact from processing. Seems the most likely candidate
for truth. The rocks all have that same greenish tinge, too.

> Hope that holds the aliens at bay:-) (But you gotta know it won't)

Naw - They were over for a few beers last night and afterwards flew off a bit wobbly
mumbling about eBay. :)

Gary in Vermont