[meteorite-list] Millbillillie's Parent Body At Its Brightest In 18 Years

From: Mal Bishop <magbish3_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 09:56:32 -0400

Dear List,

I haven't seen a post relevant to this topic so I thought I would take the
opportunity to inform those who may either not already be aware, or need a
reminder.

Vesta, Millbillillie's parent body, is at opposition, and its brightest in
18 years, with a magnitude of 5.4 which is well within naked eye viewing --
of course, a pair of binoculars or small telescope would enhance the view
just that much more. It is now approximately 100 or so million miles from
Earth.
It will remain near 5.4 for the next couple of weeks and since the moon is
presently a factor in viewing Vesta at its optimum, the moonless period
between
June 8th through 14th will be the next best opportunity for dark sky viewing.

The following links will offer more
info.: http://skytonight.com/observing/home/Vesta_at_Its_Brightest.html

                                                          http://media.skytonight.com/images/Vesta07_Finder_color.jpg

Take your piece of Millbillillie in your hand while viewing its distant
alma mater! Pretty cool I think!

regards,
Mal