[meteorite-list] freebies and mini gao sales<--AD?????

From: Darren Garrison <cynapse_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 26 May 2007 23:43:13 -0500

On Sat, 26 May 2007 19:44:36 -0700, you wrote:

> As a Vietnam Era veteran, I'll second your feeling that this should
>absolutely be a time a reflection.

And-- it won't be. People who aren't thinking of veterans the other 362 days of
the year (plus Memorial day and 4th of July) won't be thinking of them on those
three days. Special days set aside for remembering something only work for
those who think of those events/concepts already. People (who aren't already
Christians) don't think about Jesus on Christmas. People (who aren't Irish)
don't think about the trials of St. Patrick on St. Patrick's Day. People don't
think about the martyredom of St Valentine on Valentine's day. For almost
everybody, "holidays" are just days off work, or days to eat Turkey, or days to
wear green, or days to give and get presents. Jumping on Steve for not being
all solemn about Memorial Day to me is little less silly than jumping on him for
saying "Saint Paddy's Day"-- he is only doing what 99.9% of all other Americans
do.