[meteorite-list] To Africa? what do you do?

From: Norm Lehrman <nlehrman_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 23:06:41 -0700 (PDT)

List,

Sorry if this is a bit off-topic, but I've had a bunch
of (mostly) off-list questions about what I do that
gets us transferred to places like Africa.

I'm an exploration geologist, now working mainly with
gold, employed by a big gold company. I've got 39+
years in the field and have worked every continent
except Antarctica. On the side, I spent about 10
years teaching part-time at college level. A general
lust for every facet of natural history magnified the
whole thing, ultimately into the most exotic pursuit
of all, METEORITES! and their problematic progeny
TEKTITES!

All of you reading this have the bug to some degree,
and I hope you all comprehend that you're part of one
of the most extreme focus groups in science: rocks
that fall from the sky. Samples of asteroids.
Samples from other planets. Samples of galactic star
dust. Where do you go from this?

My new assignment is based in Tanzania and involves
creating the best team of explorers in Africa (and
maybe the world!). You would be right to bet that
nobody has escaped my training camp without knowing
about meteorites, what to look for, and how & where to
look.

I will keep our website going while we're gone, and
will keep it updated with travel-log pics and
narratives. I won't have access to our inventory for
2-3 years, so selling will be largely on hold. I'll
still buy when opportunity presents, so do keep in
touch.

I'll remain on the list. This is not a good-bye
(unless the crocs or tsetse flies or mosquitoes
win--). Our address and phone and email will change,
and will be posted to our website. But if you want to
buy anything, ask soon--- Very soon.

Cheers,
Norm

http://tektitesource.com