[meteorite-list] Classification Labs

From: dean bessey <deanbessey_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 19 May 2007 15:16:17 -0700 (PDT)

--- Pete Pete <rsvp321 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Our Dean's lab contact in New Zealand will be my
> third option, but it reads like a minimum 20 gm >
> Cheers,
> Pete

Hi everybody. The size of the sample that we require
is set by the met society and is the same with us as
with any other lab like UCLA or MIT. I have just put
20 grams on The Meteorite Shop/Bathurst Observatory
classification service website because it is a pain
with so many people trying to "negotiate" sending
smaller specimens (For example people ask "If I send
multiple samples at once will you do it for 10 grams
each?").
But to clarify, it is 20 grams of material or 20% if
the meteorite is under 100 grams. This is true wither
you send the sample to us or to a university. The only
difference with us is that you have to pay our
classification service $79 (Instead of free usually
with a university) and with us you get your results in
roughly 3 months or so (As opposed to usually at least
a year to as much as 5 or 6 years with a lab for
common chondrites - most of whom wont even accept NWA
chondrites anymore).
We dont keep anything for ourselves and the specimen
that we get will be deposited with an institution
approved by the met society to hold type specimens (So
far they have all went to the sydney australia
museum).
Hope this clarifies things.
See the website for more details:
http://www.meteoriteshop.com/class/classify.html