[meteorite-list] Tornado snatches 1, 000 pound pallasite meteorite

From: MeteorHntr at aol.com <MeteorHntr_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 6 May 2007 17:35:04 EDT

List,

If you look at photo #12 here:

http://www.kansas.com/static/slides/050507tornadoaerials/

In the center of the picture about 1/6 of the way up from the bottom there
is what looks like the 2 ft x 3 ft oak stand (possibly tipped over) that the
1,000 pound meteorite used to sit on. Something is still on the stand, but it
 might be debris. But, just to the left of the stand is a big brown blob.
I think that is the meteorite. However, the brown blob might be the old
buffalo skin that was kept in the same room as the meteorite.

The meteorite might be gone now. It could have been removed by officials,
for protection. It could have been stolen. It could have been removed by
tornado.

As for the "extensive city meteorite collection" I am almost certain all the
city owned was the 1,000 pound Brenham specimen (kept at the Big Well Gift
shop) a roughly 300g end piece of Brenham, and a roughly 100g Odessa iron
slice in resin (both kept at the City Hall).

In any case, I do believe that the items would have been insured.

Early on, I think in the first interview the City Manager did mention that
the well was in tact, but strangely did NOT mention if the meteorite was still
there.

And for reports of the Big Well being covered in debris, as you can see very
plainly in that same photo #12 (lower left corner) that the gray metal box
that covered the hole at the top of the well, that people could walk up to and
look down into the well, is intact although the glass is broken in some of
the panes. And there is relatively very little debris on top of the well,
which is in front of the Gift Shop building that is destroyed. A close look and
you can see a bit of the 32 ft wide circular rock wall that extends above
ground, that was sitting-bench high above the concrete slap that covers the top
of the well.

Steve

In a message dated 5/6/2007 3:39:36 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
cynapse at charter.net writes:
On Sun, 6 May 2007 13:49:07 -0500, you wrote:

>I agree with Charlie. I don't think it would be moved much, if any.
>I think a wind greater than the terminal velocity of the object in
>free fall would be needed to lift it, and that would be several
>hundred miles per hour. If it is truly missing, I would be willing
>to bet on theft.

I wouldn't expect theft-- yet. A chaotic situation known about only minutes
in
advance, destroying the entire town, and a theft needing heavy lifting
equipment
and transportation (even if only a engine-block lifter and a big pickup)
doesn't
seem too likely. I'd bet it is still in the pile of debris that was the
building containing it. Unless that building is what is now on top of the
well,
in which case it could be at the bottom of the well. What is more of a
concern
(from a meteorite perspective, not to belittle all the other human an
material
loss) is the other meteorite collection of the town that is mentioned-- which
would be much more easily lost and much harder to find.

Speaking of, anyone have photos of the other meteorite collection, as
mentioned
in the articles?