[meteorite-list] Researchers Find Possible Meteorite Fragments in Russia

From: Ron Baalke <baalke_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 08:37:39 -0700 (PDT)

http://www.spacedaily.com/reports/Researchers_Find_Meteorite_Fragments_In_Altai_999.html

Researchers Find Meteorite Fragments In Altai
RIA Novosti
May 8, 2007

A group of Russian researchers looking for a meteorite that fell in
January in the Altai Territory in southern Siberia has found an
extraterrestrial substance which could be meteorite fragments, a
coordinator said Monday. "We have collected about 50 samples, and
vitreous threads (traces of comet substance) were discovered in the
first of them using a microscope," Vadim Chernobrov of Kosmopoisk
(space search) said.

"We will reach the meteorite site in a few days, but rocks which are
probably meteorite fragments have already been found," Chernobrov
said.

He said only laboratory testing could establish the rocks' origin,
adding that there were many volunteers involved in the operation
from Moscow, Novosibirsk, Kostroma and local areas. He said all
finds will be given to a museum.

Earlier, it was reported that January 10, local motorists and
residents witnessed the impact of a fiery ball, which eventually
ended in a loud sound resembling an explosion.

"Witnesses called us. This must have been a meteorite," a senior
scientist from the Barnaul planetarium said.

Natalya Pavlova said that since a fallen meteorite was discovered in
1840, some 20 meteorites, including 4 in the 21st century, have been
registered in the area.