[meteorite-list] Need help with a Campo!!

From: GREG LINDH <geeg48_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2007 17:36:13 -0700

       Hi all,

    As many of you know, I'm new to meteorite collecting (16 so far). I
have 3 Campos. The first two came looking more natural....shiny and
metallic looking. I put some "Rig" on them to keep them from rusting. Rig
is a goop that hunters put on guns to keep them from rusting. It has worked
wonderfully on my first two Campos. The problem is, my last Campo, which is
very cool and my biggest so far (11.5 lbs.) has been coated with some sort
of protectant. Instead of being shiny and metallic looking, it looks like
it has been sprayed with black paint. I tried taking it off with a
stainless steel wire hand held brush, but it only comes off with *great
difficulty*. So, is there some sort of solvent that will take this stuff
off without damaging the meteorite. I called the man I purchased it from
and he agreed that a natural look is much better. He has contacted the
person he buys the Campos from and has requested that no protectant be used
on future Campos. He told me that a light sand or bead blasting would take
it off, but I just don't want to damage the actual meteorite material.
    Any advice and assistance would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in a advance for your help.

    Greg Lindh