[meteorite-list] iron streams? Ed

From: Michael Murray <mmurray_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2007 07:23:06 -0600

Hi Ed, and List
Just writing to let you know a couple things about your last email
"iron streams". I had that message come into my inbox, but it
doesn't show on the met-list archives, at least not yet. Likewise, I
see messages on the archives from quite recent that never showed up
in my inbox. I'm sure there is a logical explanation for all this.
I guess I was just wanting to point it out as a possible reason for
you not getting a response (on list) to your questions. If you did,
they were off-list. About the only way I have found to keep up with
some of the current List threads is to refer to the archives every so
often and compare those messages with what I get in the inbox. Which
is no problem.

On your topic of "iron streams", I can't offer anything worthwhile on
the relationship between any of those falls, but here is something I
saw in an old book titled: "An Encylop?dia of Practical Inforfmation
and Univeral Formulary for Every Occupation, Trade and Profession" by
Robert Bradbury, M.D. Print date of 1889. I just thought this
part was interesting and that you might like to see it.

"Aerolites, meteors, and falling stars all seem to have a common
origin. They are produced by small bodies--planets in miniature--
which are revolving, like our earth, about the sun. Their orbit
intersects the orbit of the earth, and if at any time they reach the
point of crossing exactly with the earth, there is a collision.
Their mass is so small, that the earth is not jarred any more than is
a railway train by a pebble thrown against it. These small bodies
may come near the earth and drawn to its surface by the power of
attraction, or they may simply sweep through the higher regions of
the atmosphere, and there escape its grasp; or, finally, they may,
under certain conditions, be compelled to revolve many times around
the earth as satellites. Indeed, a French astronomer estimates that
there is one now circling about the earth at a distance of 5,000
miles, This companion of our moon has a period of three hours and
twenty minutes. The average velocity of these meteoric bodies or
bolides, as they are frequently called, is thirty-six miles per
second--much greater than that of Mercury itself."

Best regards,
Michael Murray