[meteorite-list] Rocks From Space Picture of the Day - March 29, 2007

From: Gerald Flaherty <grf2_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2007 12:58:31 -0400

Recently there was an interesting TV [I think the History Channel]special on
the theoretical origin of Libyan Desert Glass. It proposed a Tunguska like
air burst, in relatively recent geologic time in what was then an entirely
different ecologic environment.
Although the event proposed was several orders of magnitude greater than the
Siberian catastrophe, the area effected was in no way the present spread of
the Libyan field.
Because of the Water in the what is the today's desert, the Glass was spread
to its present area, [I think they said the area of Rhode Island]by drainage
and swift flowing currents.
Did anyone else see the show or hear of this theory?
Jerry Flaherty