[meteorite-list] Tennessee fall picture on postcard on

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2007 01:10:12 -0500

Hi, List, Robin,

    You ask:

> any information about the Cosby Creek Fall?

The NHM Catalogue of Meteorites says:
    "Two masses, one said to have weighed 2000lb
and the other 112lb, were known before 1837,
G. Troost (1840); C.U. Shepard (1842, 1847).
    The larger mass was forged into various articles,
V.F. Buchwald (1975). Distinct from Waldron Ridge
( q.v._ ) and Greenbrier County ( q.v._ ).
    Analysis, 6.57 %Ni, 91.5 ppm.Ga, 431 ppm.Ge,
2.9 ppm.Ir, J.T. Wasson (1970). Analysis, classification
and origin, B.-G. Choi et al. (1995)."

> Any samples? Are they ever traded?

    Well, there's one on eBay right now, starting at $0.01:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110107596539

    And, if you're in a more expansive (or expensive) mood,
etched whole slices are apparently available at $4 a gram:
http://www.islandmeteorite.com/pages/cosbys-creek.htm

    Next...

    Let me tell you about this wonderful thing called
Google... For example, if you Google "meteorite
database," you will be rewarded with an armload
of internet databases about meteorites with more
information than a mind can hold, starting with:
http://tin.er.usgs.gov/meteor/ , which is always a
good place to start.

    A meteorite has to be tough to survive in Tennessee
I guess. Of 26 Tennessee meteorites, 21 are Irons (only
one was a Fall), 2 are Mesosiderites, and only 3 are Stones
(Drake Creek, a witnessed Fall in 1827; Petersburg, an 1855
witnessed Diogenite Fall; and Maryville, an 1983 witnessed
Fall).
    Tennesseeans do not seem to notice rocks falling from
the sky very well, nor meteorites lying about the landscape,
but they are powerful good at ploughing them up! And East
Tennessee is replete with Irons from the early 19th century.
    Every spot where one (or two or five) meteorite(s) fell
is an excellent spot to look for more! Assuming you could
locate these old Iron Find locations, that metal detector might
prove useful there.
    On the other hand, Kansas is flatter... a lot flatter.

Sterling K. Webb