[meteorite-list] H2 or L2 CLASS METEORITES

From: tett <tett_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 21:31:42 -0400

Doug,

Does petrologic grade 3, in essence, mean little to no thermal alteration?
If so, then there can not be a type 2 even with a nice heat sink to protect
these primordial chondrules. In fact, McSween's chart on pg 63 2nd ed.
shows type 3 as neither aqueous altered or thermally altered. However, he
does mention that these classifications are simplifications and intended to
represent a range of alteration. Why we now have LL3.7's etc.

Although I have not found this plainly stated, I believe the intent of the
classification system was that H3.0 or L3.0 or LL3.0 are thermally unaltered
and hence have pristine baby fresh chondrules.

The parent bodies for the carbonaceous chondrites did not experience the
same temperatures leading to thermal alteration of their chondrules. At
least, I guess this is so.

Cheers,

Mike Tettenborn