[meteorite-list] Space junk re-entry just misses Chilean jetliner

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 19:25:11 -0500

Hi,

    Since the Progress module was still docked
with the ISS when this happened, it seems it was
a "natural" bolide, probably far, far away from
the plane.
    If so, we missed a chance to start a new and
very exclusive "Hammer List"!
    A little scribbled arithmetic shows that the
average total upper surface area exposed by all
the commercial air flights of all the world's airlines
summed up by the time they spend in the air
amounts to the same collisional cross-section
as about 10 square kilometers of land down here
on the planet.
    Probably have to wait thousands of years for
a meteorite hit on a plane...

Sterling K. Webb