[meteorite-list] Letters on centimeter cubes?

From: Norbert Classen <trifid_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 17:57:30 +0200

Hi Greg, Jerry, and All,

The cube can be put to use in a way that the letters also make sense in a
studio environment, i.e. you define the "Top" and, let's say, the "North"
side of the stone. I did this for the documentation of various planetary
masses prior to cutting - have a look at the following example, the main
mass of lunar meteorite Dhofar 1084, and you will see what I mean:

http://www.meteoris.de/cube/Dho1084b.JPG
http://www.meteoris.de/cube/Dho1084c.JPG
http://www.meteoris.de/cube/Dho1084d.JPG
http://www.meteoris.de/cube/Dho1084f.JPG
http://www.meteoris.de/cube/Dho1084i.JPG
http://www.meteoris.de/cube/Dho1084j.JPG

This way you won't have problems to keep track of the original spatial
orientation of the meteorite, making it more easy to get an impression of
the entire mass, and its original shape. Of course, 3D movies are even
better, but if you like photo series this is a good way to put the letters
to use ,-)

Hope this helps,
Norbert

Planetary Meteorites
http://www.meteoris.de

-----Urspr?ngliche Nachricht-----

Hi Jerry,

Good question regarding the scale cubes and if there is a certain way to
orient the cube for photographing specimens after they have been removed
from original find site. I personally put "T" on the top and usually "W" to
the left, not for any particular reason, except for the obvious "T" for top.

It would be interesting if there is a "standard" out there for the
orientation of the cubes in a studio setting, I would think there would not
be.

Best regards,
Greg

Greg Hupe