[meteorite-list] Delay and "porphyritic"

From: Norm Lehrman <nlehrman_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2007 17:23:19 -0700 (PDT)

Armando , Bernd, & all,

"Porphyritic" is a textural term. In terrestrial
igneous rocks it results from multiple-stage cooling,
but I see no reason why you can't run it backwards
with incomplete melting. If olivine is the common
phenocryst phase, this would make sense in that it has
an extremely high melting point. The glass would
reflect the lower melting point silicates, while the
olivine and magnetite remain, yielding a porphyritic
texture.

Cheers,
Norm
(http://TektiteSource.com)