[meteorite-list] a question on fusion crust

From: mark ford <markf_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2007 17:04:08 -0000

On that subject, anyone know what actual temperature the surface of the
average Chondrite gets to on atmospheric entry? (it would no doubt vary
with the entry angle time in flight etc) but there must be a ball park
figure.

Obviously I doubt anyone can have measured it directly (unless maybe it
could be done using IR measurement systems pointed at the fireball?), so
most figures would presumably be theoretical, and we can obviously work
out what temp a chrondrite melts at, but presumably it gets much much
hotter than 'just the melting point temp'.

Mark