[meteorite-list] Block of Ice Falls Out of Sky in Spain

From: Ron Baalke <baalke_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 08:09:34 -0700 (PDT)

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200703/s1874162.htm

Block of ice falls out of sky in Spain
Reuters
March 17, 2007

A football-sized block of ice fell out of the sky on to
the roof of an industrial building in Madrid, police say,
denting the roof but without causing injuries.

"We don't know where it came from," a police spokeswoman
said of the 20 kilogram lump.

"We've taken samples from the block which are in the
process of being analysed."

A series of ice blocks fell around Spain in 2000.

Scientists have said the most likely explanation is a
sudden freeze in the upper part of the Earth's atmosphere
forming ice blocks that then fall into a restricted area.