[meteorite-list] Meteorites forsale (AD)

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2007 19:04:09 -0500

Dave,

The term Steve used is "St. Paddy's Day."
He did not call anybody a "paddy." He not
refer to any ethnicity nor nationality. He used
the closest English language transliteration of
a person's actual name as pronounced by the
people of the nation of which he (Padric or
Padraigh, not Steve) is the patron saint, and
the term most frequently used by those
individuals to whom it matters most.

Do you have similar views about Dewi Sant?
"Dewi" is pronounced "Davy" and refers to
the patron saint of Wales, Saint David, feast
celebrated on March 1 (and which 87% of
the Welsh people say ought to be a holiday).
Am I gonna be in big trouble if I ask you
if you had a good St. Davy's Day?

And if offensive is not defined by usage,
linguistic origin, historical application, the
intent of the speaker, nor the acceptability
to those potentially offended, what in blue
blazes does define "offense"?

You?

And if imaginary registration in a roll of
inherently offensive terms, without the application
of history, language, usage, and feelings as
requirements, is not an example of the most
mindless PC Culture, then nothing is.

Where can I obtain a copy of this totally
authoritative but mystically known-only-
to-you list of offenses? Can I find it on
the internet, write off for it, or do I have to
consult the nearest flaming shrubbery?

Sterling K. Webb