[meteorite-list] Pallasite story.

From: Michael Farmer <meteoriteguy_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2007 08:25:09 -0700 (PDT)

Ruben,
I have found both Imilac and Glorieta Mountain pieces,
although the Glorieta Mountain pieces I have found
weigh a combined less than 20 grams! I have spent
thousands of dollars travelling to Glorieta, to find a
value of only a couple hundred dollars. Hunting
meteorites takes incredible patience, and lots of luck
mixed in. When I first started hunting, a friend of
mine at Gold Basin was doing much better than I was,
and I ask him the secret, just to share soemthing with
me so that I could improve my haul of meteorites. He
told me that "the trick to finding meteorites is to
get the coil of your detector over the meteorite"!
When I found this new pallasite, it was one of the
best finds of my life, I honestly think I was more
excited than when I found the moon rock. There was no
question of what this meteorite was. We have been
preparing for months a return to the location to
systematically search for more pieces. My hunting
partner and I returned to the location, carrying
crates of material to build metal-detectors which
could be pulled behind the vehicles. Customs was quite
interested in the machines, but when told what they
were for, they thought it was cool.
    We hunted for two days, gridding teh area where I
found the first piece, back and forth 16 hours per day
(night hunting during a full moon in the desert is not
a problem). We found nothing in thoe two days! Imagine
the boredom and anger at what we thouht was going to
be an easy hunt. After two full days of gridding the
site of the first piece, we decided to go out more
randomly in all directions, to try and hit a second
piece. Late in the afternoon, my radio crackled, but I
was too far away from Robert to hear him. We have
several different radios, so finally my GPS radio came
on and I heard Robert say that he "had found it". I
called back and he told me that he had found more
pallasite! It took us some time to fugure out where
each other was, but I drove up on a small hill and
Robert talked me in.