[meteorite-list] Very special ad - Burnwell, KY

From: Rhett Bourland <abe.sausagekingofchicago_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 16:05:00 -0400

Hi everyone,

I know I haven't been active in the meteorite community lately due to work
and family obligations but I'm here today to raise a bit of money by selling
one of the crown jewels of my collection; a 4.1g slice of Burnwell.

For those of you unfamiliar with Burnwell, depending on where you read about
it, it is classified as either an anomalous H4 or HH4. Yes, HH4. There is
a total of one of these in the world and it hit a house in Burnwell,
KY USAon September 4, 1990 and a total of around 3kg TKW.
Almost all of this meteorite is in the Smithsonian. I say almost all of it
because in 2001 I was lucky enough to be the only person to receive part of
it (a little over 12g). I had it cut up and sold or traded most of it away
to other collectors while keeping the largest portion of it for myself. This
piece has beautiful dark crust on one edge as well as a Smithsonian number
painted on it. There is NO weathering on it at all and it looks like a
stone that fell yesterday. The many visible chondrules (some armored) are
easy to spot and truth be told, I'm kind of surprised that this was
classified as a HH4 and not an HH3. Other than cutting it has been treated
by expert Jim Hartman to prevent any aging and has been in a membrane case
for the past 5 years. I will also include the shipping papers from the
Smithsonian so you can track the ownership from space to your door. To read
more about how the Smithsonian obtained this meteorite read here
http://www.agiweb.org/geotimes/dec99/feature.html For those of you wary of
purchasing a meteorite from someone you may not know, check out the IMCA's
site at http://imca.cc/insights/2006/IMCA-Insights01.htm to read about how I
helped form the association.

Put simply, this is the largest privately owned piece of an entire class of
meteorite that has hit a house in America, has excellent pedigree, and is
simply beautiful. How often does a chance like this come up? Asking price
is $8,000. I'll pay for first class insured shipping to your door.

If interested please feel free to call me at 812-484-8369 at any time or
write back to me. This offer stands until noon March 15, 2007, Eastern
Standard Time.

Thank you for your time,

Rhett Bourland