[meteorite-list] .../Nevada Picture of the day/ unreported Nevada meteorites

From: Robert Verish <bolidechaser_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 17:04:51 -0700 (PDT)

---------------- Original Message -----------------
meteorite-list] Misinformation in Meteorite Times
Magazine/Nevada Picture of the day/ unreported Nevada
meteorites
Adam Hupe raremeteorites at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 13 18:42:38 EDT 2007

Dear List,

I can understand the reluctance to report meteorite
finds in the Mojave with such gray areas in the law
surrounding the finds. You can talk to ten different
authorities and get ten different answers.
++++++++

Hello List,

I couldn't agree more with Adam.
But the "reluctance to report meteorite finds in the
Mojave" is more prevalent in Arizona and Nevada where
the local BLM offices have a more "laissez-faire"
policy towards meteorite hunting.
[See the Met. Bulletin and check out the totals.]

It's because of the very same bureaucratic maze that
Adam described in the various governmental offices
here in California that forces the majority of us who
live here and find CA meteorites to say,
"Fine! We don't own the meteorites we find, you say?
Have it your way. In the meanwhile we'll report every
find we make! Here, you want them, come get them!"

In this way we take away the main arguement from those
who complain about meteorite hunters on public lands.
By accepting the fact that we don't own the meteorites
we find in California, and yet we still report each of
those finds, we in effect become the "on the job"
curators for those meteorites.

We live with this over our head in California.
So far, not one meteorite has been surrendered.

The way I look at is, if I report each of my Nevada
finds to the Nomenclature Committee, the longer I'll
forestall Nevada from becoming like California.

Bob V.