[meteorite-list] Carsten's NWA 4679 CK4

From: bernd.pauli at paulinet.de <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: 05 Mar 2007 17:50:09 UT

Hello List,

I'd like to forward a mail I received from John Divelbiss re: Carsten's new
CK4 chondrite. John is one of those who are having problems sending posts
to the List but some of us, especially the owners of this unique CK4 chondrite,
will find John's comments very interesting! Best wishes, Bernd

Hello Bernd and Carsten,

First off I want to congratulate Carsten for coming up with this beauty. It really is
a unique meteorite. Also, I must tell you how surprised I was at the size of slice I
received. A 1 mm thick, 7.9 gram slice is BIG ! Yes, Bernd the 7.9 g slice (#6)
 is mine now. I must tell you that my interest in that slice was the darker, less feature-
less areas...in particular the different colors/hues that you noted. In person those hues
and shapes are even more distinct. To me it is melt material, and not a clast or clasts.
I have many melts in my collection, and I believe this qualifies as one too.

The darker, what I'll call black, material with the triangular wedge is almost featureless.
The features I do see seem to be what is left of chondrules and/or CAI's that have been
melted. In almost all cases these small spots are white or light brown. Many of the nice
chondrules/CAI's in the meteorites normal texture near the darker "melt" areas also seem
to have melted rims around them too, which to me also suggests that this meteorite has been
heated by impact.

Are we sure we are not looking at a unique CK 4-6 impact melt? With the 6 being the darkest
areas, and the in between "5 areas" being the brown hued material at the edge of the meteorite
in my slice where the remaining features in it are more numerous and more distinct than the black
6 area, yet different and less distinct than the areas with the nice shaped chondrules and CAI's
in the bulk 4 area.

Carsten...whoever (scientist) is looking at this meteorite is going to have a lot of
thinking to do to come up with a final report/analysis about this extraordinary find.

John