[meteorite-list] New Exciting Desert Delicacies - pictures

From: Martin Altmann <altmann_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2007 10:42:50 +0100

Dear List,

We would like to share a few photos of interesting desert finds with you,
which we acquired during the last months in Morocco, and which are worth
being looked at in our opinion. Unfortunately, we hadn't time yet to prepare
the pieces for the classification, but we'll send samples of these pieces as
soon as possible to the lab. Enjoy the pictures.

A very strange meteorite of only about 25g which is probably a carbonaceous
chondrite. But at the moment we have no idea which exact type of a
c-chondrite it might be. Because of the very dark colouring and the relative
softness, it could be a CM or maybe a metamorphosed c-chondrite. Only on a
polished surface one can see a few, very small round objects (chondrules?)
which are as dark as the surrounding matrix. By the way this meteorite was
offered as a possible CI chondrite in Morocco, and in spite of the high
price we couldn't resist to buy it. This meteorite is perhaps a very
interesting study material.
http://www.chladnis-heirs.com/carbonaceous.jpg

This achondrite looks very similar to the Agoult eucrite at the first view.
But it was a little surprise to see the interior after cutting. Beside the
Agoult-typical matrix is a different lithology found, which is more coarser
grained.
http://www.chladnis-heirs.com/achondrite2.jpg

The following meteorite is very nicely oriented and has a typical button
shape.
The interior explodes of tiniest metal flakes, but chondrules are completely
absent and if it won't turn out to be an enstatite chondrite of a high
grade, then it will be certainly a very uncommon type of high interest.
http://www.chladnis-heirs.com/iron-rich.jpg

Last but not least for those, who hadn't the opportunity to visit our room
in Tucson, here another picture of the 606g lunaite, which - without wanting
to anticipate the classification - seems to be a piece of the fresh
graulitic impactite NWA 3163/4483. It isn't a new find, the existence of
that piece was known since end of 2005. But for several reasons it was very
difficult to get.
http://www.chladnis-heirs.com/lunar-606g.jpg

Best wishes,
Chladni's Heirs