[meteorite-list] Total Lunar Eclipse

From: bernd.pauli at paulinet.de <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: 03 Mar 2007 23:25:09 UT

Hi List,

The total lunar eclipse is "in full swing" and I just caught a glimpse of the
totally eclipsed Moon through an opening in the clouds. The central area
of the Moon's disk is a bright orange and the rim is a yellow-orange hue.
Looks like a relatively bright eclipse, i.e. the atmosphere is relatively free
of volcanic dust, etc. I've seen eclipses when the Moon was so dark you
could hardly recognize it.

Peter just wrote and this is astonishing: "a light shooting star crossed the red moon"

Astonishing because I've seen that too (slightly west of the Moon's disk from where
I live here in Germany) and thought it was my imagination ... moonstruck :-)

Cheers,

Bernd