[meteorite-list] Enquiry to BIMS

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2007 17:46:47 -0600

Hi, Dave,

The Olympic Penisula lies to the NW of Seattle.
It is the ONLY area of the United State with deposits
of manganese, presently undeveloped and still in their
"native" state.

http://www.washington.edu/uwired/outreach/cspn/Website/Resources/Curriculum/Evergreen/Documents/32.html
"Manganese is found in large deposits from Lake Crescent
on the north, around to the eastern side of the [Olympic
Mountain] range, south to Lake Quinault. Several thousand
claims have been filed within this area... Geologists who
have studied this region have stated that the manganese
of the Olympics is sufficient to supply the needs of the
Nation for many generations... Manganese is essential
in all modern alloys and is therefore necessary for all
industries and vital to the Nation in case of war. Aside
from the deposits in the Olympic Peninsula the manganese
deposits in the United States are very limited, and [the
manganese] now used is imported, principally
from Russia."

Darrington, WA is NNE of Seattle (and curiously just
down the road a bit from a town name "Swede Heaven")
and is just 50 miles from the Olympic National Forest.

I advise your friend to quit worrying about manganese
neteorites and stake a mining claim -- pronto! Unless he
was "claim-jumping..." In that case, he might need that
AK-47.

Sterling K. Webb