[meteorite-list] Revolving Doors Are Closing

From: Greg Hupe <gmhupe_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2007 07:23:55 -0500

Dear Marcin and List,

Marcin wrote:
"I have information that Morocco closed south border with Mauritania, so
another meteorite-rich area is unavailable. Military forces are on the
border. Thats not funny."

I just got back from Morocco Tuesday and can confirm this statement. While
driving through Ouarzazate, Zagora and M'hamid, I saw several large caravans
of military vehicles and hundreds of personnel heading towards the borders
of Morocco, Algeria and Mauritania. I was told that with some civil unrest
in M'hamid, an Algerian radio campaign broadcasting statements that M'hamid
wants to leave Morocco and become part of Algeria, nomads and others freely
crossing the borders and Algeria's continued claims to parts of Western
Sahara have prompted the Moroccans to set up many military check points
along the borders. I was told they will have night vision equipment and
other high tech devices to catch those who cross either way.

This can only suggest that more material will be hard to come by and the
prices will continue to increase. These are both the case right now. I
didn't see anything new except a couple nice stones which I have and the
quantity is much less than the last time I was there. The wholesale prices
directly from the nomads, dealers and those from the other side have
increased dramatically and the supply is low.

I heard of many of the scams some of these people are doing or try to do so
basically if you do not know the person you are dealing with in Morocco,
Algeria, Mauritania or other place in the region, then it is best to receive
any material first (not just a sample), and then you can send whatever
payment you agreed upon. Even some of the people you know and "trust" there
will still rip you off for some reason or another. Do not take a risk, it is
better to fly there yourself and deal with all of the difficulties while
pursuing material.

Best regards,
Greg

Greg Hupe