[meteorite-list] Rocks From Space Picture of the Day - June 30, 2007

From: Jason Utas <meteoritekid_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2007 11:21:53 -0700

Hello All,
This is simply a piece of NWA 4759, to steal Carsten's NWA number.
But, whereas he lists the TKW at seven hundred or so grams, there are
really *at least* 10kg of material. The main mass (at least the
largest stone that I saw) was about as big as my head. The rest of
the stones that Mohammed had in Tucson were all together in a big
burlap sack; I picked one out with a centimeter+ CAI sticking out of
one side.
It tends to be a greenish-grey, nicely sand-polished on the outside
surface, with many light-coloured chondrules visible externally (not
red or orange, as the interior, but white - unless you're dealing with
a somewhat freshly broken surface; then the chondrules appear to be
reddish). I bought mine as, well he was "100% sure" that it was, a CK
- shame, but that fellow lost a customer for next year.
In any case, it's beautiful material, and unpaired to the other NWA
CV3's out there (it takes a nice polish as well...unusual for a CV3).
It is, in my opinion, much prettier than any of the other NWA CV3's
available, though that CR2...nice stuff, that.
I am wondering - Matteo, what's that picture you sent - it's clearly
not a CR, and looks more like a CO3, unless it's just an equilibrated
H...I can't tell from such low resolution.
Regards,
Jason