[meteorite-list] A friendly warning...

From: michael cottingham <mikewren_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2007 10:56:32 -0600

Jakub,

When is the last time you emailed me? 5 or 6 months ago? Because this is
the 1st time, since our transaction that I have heard anything about this
one.

Back then I answered your emails. Back then I told you I had shipped it and
back then I communicated with you just fine.

NO. I don't answer every email on the same subject, especially when overseas
shipping can take time ... a long time. I have had this problem before, and
I believe everyone finally did receive their item. Maybe, a year later, but
that was not MY FAULT!

True Story: I sent out several thousands of dollars worth of the Rare Fall,
Weston... I sent it out Global Priority Mail. It never showed up. I was
surprised because I had never lost a Global Priority before. I sent a
replacement.. Registered Mail, Thousands of dollars more of Weston. IT NEVER
Showed up. This was to Germany. The buyer thought I was a thief. I thought
the buyer a thief. I began to slowly refund the money... I was pissed
because I thought I was scammed. About a year or more later, one of the
packages was found in the basement of the next door neighbor. They found
this package while cleaning their basement. My buyer was not home when the
package came, so the postman gave it to the neighbor... and she finally gave
it to my client a year later! The second package is still missing in
Germany.

In the 10 years I have been doing this... I have sent over 20,000 packages.
I have over 9,000 (NINE THOUSAND) Positive feedbacks on Ebay, and that is
just my ebay business. I have sold thousands of meteorites to hundreds of
happy customers. I have refunded every purchase that was lost in the mail or
if the person was dissatisfied.

Also, there is NO WAY to track your shipment outside the USA. At that time I
do not believe that service was available on the way I sent it.

ALSO, when you elect to play the "Customs Game", that is, no or little value
decalred on the item and you want to insure it for the full amount, remember
I told you I don't do that. It is illegal. I did recommend that you insure
it, but that amount would be declared on the customs invoice and you would
have to pay your customs fee. If the buyer elects to have NO VALUE placed on
the item, as to avoid custom fees, then they forfeit all rights to a refund.

I have had maybe 25 lost packages, (In 10 years) and I believe I have
refunded or replaced the items in all of these cases, unless there was some
other agreement.

In my experience, Italy is the worst place to send anything to... Eastern
Europe is second and Germany has sometimes the worst delays.. (Due to
Customs). This statement is not intended to be slander or to be mean, but
some countries have a terrible postal system, with thieves, delays, and
other problems...

I am in the business to sell meteorites... not play games. CUSTOMER> POSTAL
SERVICE>SELLER. The party in the middle is sometimes to blame!

Best Wishes

Michael Cottingham